Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Two Weeks


Ben was two weeks old yesterday. He is doing very well. He's was just a few ounces shy of his birth weight at his doctor's visit yesterday, but I think he's caught up now based on today's weight. Here's the stats from the doctor:

Weight: 7 lbs 1.2oz (10%)
Length: 20 in (22%)
Head Circumference: 13.75 in (12%)

He is tracking around the 10th percentile for his weight and the 20th percentile for his height. Note that his length is shorter than what we were given as his length at birth (20.25"). It seems like they measured him wrong on the hospital because his length was around 19.5" when they measured him at his pediatrician's office a few days later. Of course I wouldn't call the methods use to measure length very reliable, especially with a squirming baby.

Ben didn't get any vaccines, but he did get a heal prick for the 2nd state newborn screen.

You can see Chris giving Ben a bottle in the picture above. He's getting about 1/4 to 1/3 of what he needs from formula right now. I'm still trying to get my supply to come up, but formula supplementation is a slippery slope. We have to give it to him so he can gain weight, but then he's not motivated to nurse. We had the same type of issue with Sam so I shouldn't be surprised. I was just hoping it would be different this time.


Here are some pictures of Chris giving Ben a sponge bath in the kitchen. We only had to do this twice before his parts healed an we could move him to a real bath. We haven't taken any pictures of that yet though because it takes both of us to keep Sam from dumping a big cup of water on Ben while Chris is bathing him.



As you can see, Ben loved the sponge bath about as much as any baby does.



Here's a picture of me and Ben on the couch. That's where we spend most of our day. My goals are really small right now. I'm just trying to eat, sleep, shower, and take a walk every day. Anything else is a bonus for now. It's very frustrating to go from being so active to being tied to the house. I know this phase is short, so I just have to keep that in mind. I did manage to make it out for Sam's soccer practice this past weekend, but I missed a birthday party that Sam went to. Sam is starting to learn that he doesn't get to choose when he wants Mommy or Daddy. He's ready for Ben to either get bigger or go back in my tummy for sure!

No comments: