Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 20, 2012

New Grill

After 13 years of use it was time for us to get a new gas grill.  Emily bought our grill shortly after we moved into our last house in 1999.  It was a Weber Genesis Silver grill.  At the time I thought it was expensive, but if I'd known we'd get 13 years out of it I wouldn't have thought anything of it.  I replaced various parts in the grill over the years and it was time to do it again.  As I went through and made an inventory of the parts we'd need, it became clear that we were better off buying a new grill.

Doesn't look too bad from here.

Ok, this thing has definitely seen some use.

The grates were worn through.

Shopping for a new grill was a bit of an eye opener.  Grills have really gone over the top.  You can buy a whole outdoor kitchen!  We certainly didn't need that, but we did need a good grill.  I cooked countless meals on my grill and I expect that'll continue and increase with two growing boys.  We settled on a Weber Summit S-470.

 This time around I went with natural gas.  The line was included in the construction of the house and it was time to take advantage of it.

 Roughly the same dimensions as the last grill.

 Quite a few more burners this time around.

 Although I rarely use it, a side burner is indispensable when you need it.

 Weber included a neat pop up rotisserie.  The motor is the same one they used on our old grill.  Nice to see a company leave something alone when it works.

Got a little more space this time around.  This grill has four burners, a sear burner (just another burner squeezed in the middle), a rotisserie burner (nice!), and a smoke box with burner.  The grates are solid stainless steel and very heavy.

The local stores didn't carry this particular model so we had to order it.  I'm glad we went through the trouble because I like having the rotisserie burner and the smoke box.  So far I like everything about the grill.  It's a lot hotter than our old grill and it can really sear meat.  It's more than I ever thought we'd spend on a grill, but if I can get another 13 years out of this grill it'll be worth it.

No comments: