Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mississippi Magnolias


One of my favorite things to do when I was growing up in Mississippi was climbing magnolia trees. The one in my Nanner's front yard was one of my favorites because they never trimmed the bottom branches. I couldn't wait to show Sam.


This is Nanner and Dorsey's house and that is the magnolia tree on the left.


This tree is HUGE! It's nothing like the puny little magnolias that people plant in their flower beds in Texas.


And nothing smells like summer more than magnolia flowers.


At first Sam didn't believe that we could get through the bottom branches.



I showed him how to get in and he was amazed at the magical hideout behind the branches. He ran in and out and around the tree, climbing over and under branches.



Since Sam loves his climbing wall, I thought he'd take to climbing trees naturally, but he did not really understand. I helped him climb up about six branches, and that's when I realized I'm a country girl raising a city boy.



The leaves were at least six inches deep under the tree. Nanner used to pay us to rake out the leaves from under the tree. I'm not sure who the last person was to try, but we found this old wheelbarrow hidden under the tree.


Back inside, we've had lots of fun playing with Ben and Sam on vacation.


Ben is feeling a lot better and is laughing a lot.


He loves it when Daddy tickles him.


Me too, Daddy, me too! Tickle me!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

OMG that tree is awesome. :-)