Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Photoshopping Sam



We took this picture by the creek in our neighborhood. I love this photo of Sam. I think I'm going to frame it and hang it on our wall. That's saying a lot considering I don't have a single picture of the kids framed in our house, but that's another topic for another day.

I've been saving some random photos of Sam with the intention of doing a little post about him and what he's been up to lately. I ended up going off on a tangent and learning a little about Photoshop while I was at it.

The first thing that you need to know is that I edit most photos that I post on the blog. It's usually cropping, straightening, and adjusting exposure, levels, and temperature ... a little noise reduction here and a little sharpening there. Those are all basic options in iPhoto. Every now and then I venture into Photoshop, but I don't know it well enough, so I usually get frustrated.

This weekend I learned a little something about Photoshop actions and brushes. Actions let you auto-apply a set of changes to have an effect on the photo. Brushes let you overlay or stamp the photos. There are lots of free actions and brushes available for download. Goggle is your friend.

You can mouse-over any of the photos on this post to see the original/cropped photo.



Sam loves his computer. I think he could sit in front of it all day if we let him. We are amazed at how well he navigates through his different (educational) gaming sites since he can't really read yet. I laugh every morning when I get out of bed and see Chris on his laptop and Sam on his. Two peas in a pod.



This is a photo we took of Sam getting ready for the neighborhood Easter party. He had just gotten his hair buzzed the week before.


This is Sam's best friend Hagen. They've been together since they were a few weeks old. I think they act more like brothers than friends sometimes. This was taken at the ice rink while Hagen's dad was playing hockey.


Sam is starting to want to hold Cleo's leash when we go for a walk. She's still a lot bigger than him, but she's very gentle.


And just a little dancing for a good laugh.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Emily, I love how you edited those pictures! How cool. I love the one that you said you will frame - I think it's perfect. :-)