Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Nasher Sculpture Center

On Saturday, we went to the Nasher Sculpture Center in downtown Dallas, right next to the Dallas Museum of Art. The center was built by Raymond Nasher to serve as a public home for his collection of 20th century sculpture he'd collected. The idea was to create an oasis in the middle of the city with the feeling of an archaeological site. Best of all, Saturday is kid's day and entry was free.

I took a lot of pictures. I've had the new camera since Christmas but haven't taken many pictures because it's dark and cold this time of year and I get tired of taking pictures indoors. The weather was nice on Saturday, so I took a lot of pictures.

The pictures below were taken from the entrance of the center. As you can see, it's right in the middle of downtown Dallas.





This is the first sculpture you seen when you step outside to the garden. I forget the name of it -- something along the lines of "Walking to the Sky" or something like that. I am so glad I took a wide angle lens.







This large sculpture dominates the entry and seems to draw a lot of people close to it.



Here's a better view of the sculpture and a yoga class at its base.




Sculpture done in bronze. There must have been 30 of the headless figures.



These sculptures were interesting to me, just because of how the light reflected off of their surface. You can see other photographers in the background. There were lots of people with DSLR cameras.



This sculpture looked like it was made out of two inch thick steel. I can only imagine the weight.







These sculpture reminded me of a bunch of mushrooms growing on a lawn.



A closer look shows that they're made of heavy steel. I have an anvil that probably weighs less than this.



This is a famous sculpture called "Rush Hour". It portrays six people on their morning commute.



This is the mural outside the entrance to the Dallas Museum of Art. It's nice to see something this colorful on this scale.



I enjoyed the trip and like the fact that we have something like this in Dallas. The engineer in me wants to know how many of the sculptures were made.

No comments: