Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

In Loving Memory of Panayiota Karahalios (Yiayia)


My yiayia (grandmother) Panayota Karahalios passed on December 26th, 2007 in Ocean Springs, MS.  Our best guess was that she was 94, however we can't be sure since records in rural Greece weren't kept with the same sense of urgency as they are today.  For most of her life, she lived in Horemi, Greece, not far from Megalopolis.  The map below has Horemi marked with a yellow push pin.


How one gets from Horemi to south Mississippi is a bit of a story.  The short version is that she came to live with us after her husband passed away in an accident.  She had gone through many hardships in her life, the largest being the occupation of Greece during World War II. 

I am left with many wonderful memories of my grandmother.  She rose early every day and worked in her garden and tended to her animals.  She was no stranger to hard work, loved dirty jokes, and despite a rough exterior was very loving.  She led an active life up until the last few years when she had a stroke.  Everyone who knew her will remember her how she was before that event.

From left to right: Dad, Mom, and Yia Yia
Yia Yia shelling beans
.
Standing on the front porch with all of the flowers in bloom.  One of my favorite pictures of Yia Yia.

The family with Aunt Alexandria.

My brother and me with Yia Yia.  No comments about how we were dressed.  It was the 80's and you'd groan if you saw pictures of yourself today.

Mom and Yia Yia.  This had to be taken in the summer.  The tomatoes and homemade bread on the table were a common sight around the house.  Living in the deep south, Mom quickly learned how to make southern dishes and we would have many with the Greek food she made.  Fried chicken and Greek tomato salad remind me of summer.

For many years, Yia Yia raised sheep and goats.  This picture shows her feeding them vegetable scraps from the truck stop where my mom worked.  I think folks found it odd at the time.  Today, you'd say this is "greener living".  Yia Yia would say this was common sense.

Snaphot of the family with Aunt Alexandria on the front porch.  The house went through various changes throughout the years, often stimulated by post hurricane clean up efforts.


Mom and Yia Yia dancing with friends. 

Yia Yia and me in Las Vegas.  Dad says I was three or four months old at the time.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Chris, that was really sweet. I'm sorry about your grandmother passing away. I love the picture of her with the flowers, too. That was a very nice tribute.

Anonymous said...

Hello, greeting
My name is " Estella Panayota
In 2010 I was diagnose with cancer and I started digging for facts,and my grandfather Epamenondos Karahaleos
He told me I was named after his only sister ,if you get this please contact me ,pperry48@yahoo.com
Thank you