Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Mother's Day



Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies. I barely missed having my first Mother's Day last year, so this year was the first. We had a very nice weekend. I "helped" Sam practice saying "mama", but I mostly got "dada" and "baba".



We went to the Dallas Farmer's Market Sunday morning. I've been wanting to go for a while, but it's in downtown Dallas, so it takes a little planning to get down there with a baby.



They had lots of fresh produce, meat, seafood, and plants -- but no green tomatoes or boiled peanuts. I was a little disappointed that the parking was actually in the middle of all the stands. There was just too much traffic, and the sidewalks were too crowded to comfortably navigate a stroller. There are a couple of smaller farmers' markets in Plano that we'll stick to, but I was glad we made the trip.



Chris took this picture of an International Harvester Farmall Cub tractor. His family had one when he was growing up.



All of the pictures and video that I'm posting today were taken with my Mother's Day present, a Canon SD800 IS. So you're probably thinking that I didn't need another camera, and that may be true. But, I WANTED another camera. I wanted a camera that I could just put in the diaper bag for every day pictures. It's kinda hard to take the DSLR and the video camera every where we go (and please don't question my slightly insane need to document everything we do). I LOVE this camera. It has an image stabilized lens, face recognition focusing, and takes great video. Plus, it's super tiny.



I actually opened my present on Saturday because Chris thought I'd enjoy playing with the camera all weekend, so I even got to take it to Home Depot. Here's Sam in the car cart. He was a little puzzled at what I was doing with a camera in Home Depot.



Here's a shot of a snotty, slobbery Sam playing with his toy.




Here's a video of Sam playing in the tupperware cabinet. He's started actually crawling into the cabinet so he can pull absolutely everything out onto the floor.



This is a video of Sam playing with a salsa bowl at a Mexican restaurant next to the farmer's market. It's just a sample of the fun games we get to play.



We're still working on walking and eating. I've seen Sam walk as far as five feet, but he'll only do it if he's walking between Chris and me. If he's walking to something, he usually takes a few steps then starts crawling.

We actually had our first meal with Sam where he was eating everything we were eating. We had pulled pork, field peas, and mac and cheese. He liked the pork, but he mostly still chews everything and spits it out. At day care they mush everything up and feed it to him. At home he throws a fit if I don't let him feed himself. So he has a tray full of finger food to play with (and feed Cleo), while I try to feed him jarred food. That's worked for a few weeks, but he's getting wise to what's going on and now he wants his own spoon. Which would be fine, except that he want to put his spoon in the jar too. Which would also be fine, except that when he gets the food on his spoon, he just slings it off -- on the floor, on me, on Cleo -- whatever -- just not in his mouth!



These are some pictures of Sam and Hagen playing from a few weeks ago. We had a lot of fun watching them play together.

2 comments:

barefeetbilly said...

I am currently awaiting my sd800 on it's way via ups and I really enjoyed seeing how well it performs. Thank you for posting the images and especially the video.

Sam is really entertaining.

Will said...

Your blog is awesome! Something tells me Emily is the main poster, and everything is lovely. Please keep it up!

It was great seeing you all again; I really enjoyed Julie's company, and of course the little guys! :P